Wednesday, February 26, 2014

To the person who stole my camera

To the person who stole my camera:

Congratulations on your new DSLR!
It was a Christmas present from my dad three years ago. I had just come back home after 4 months of university in Kelowna. My camera and I have been inseparable ever since. We always travel together.

It's been snowboarding with me on fresh powder up on Big White. It's witnessed countless joints lit and captured the after-effects of one too many beers. Every party, it always ends up in the bathroom where 6 or more people press themselves up against the wall and pose like top models. Many locals all over China have wrapped their fingers around its body, trying to figure out which button to press to take a photo, only to snap unflattering images in terrible lighting. I remember at the Longmen Grottoes in Luoyang when I had rolled my ankle, tried to walk down the stairs and fell, smashing my camera on the ground. That's why it rattles when you shake it. That's why the corners are dented.

But it never gave up on me. It's survival only made me feel like it was an extension of my body, constantly being bashed and bruised but never breaking or stop functioning. I wore it diagonally across my body and pretended it was ninja gear.

Let me tell you something...The only thing worse than stealing a camera is stealing someone's child. To me my camera is kind of priceless. Unfortunately for you, it's kind of a shitty camera and hardly has any resale value. I hope every picture you take ends up being blurry.

I'm just grateful that I take naked photos of myself only on snapchat.

Just kidding!

1 comment: